Saturday, April 5, 2008

Visitors

After a whirlwind cleaning and yardwork marathon, my sisters and dad headed back north again this afternoon. I think Dennis is hanging for another day or two, and Mom is here for the duration. Cousin Linda and partner Mary arrived shortly after the girls left -- they got the nickel tour (their first time in da Woods) and mostly hung out with mom and Dennis while dp and I got quiet time -- both of us, as well as Dennis were up most of the night.

Sam came by this afternoon, and he did find the irish whiskey, and I got a nice phone call from dp's sister Sue and her husband Brad.

Marie seems to be coping with this okay, so far. She was watching the History channel when I checked in on her today.

Trooley has become the ferocious watch dog, warning pretty much anyone who comes downstairs that he's on duty. dp is relatively pain free, as long she's not moving around much. Given that, we're reconsidering going back for last three radiation treatments, which are just for pain control anyway.

I think we're going to be early tonight.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, sleep well.
Katie

nancyturtle said...

I wondered if the stress and discomfort of travel were worth the benefits of the treatments. If dp is comfortable, every minute she has in daWoods is far better for both of you.

Cranium Man said...

I had a good visit with dp, and with the two of them. Diana was in and out, but when she was in she was cogent, which is really cool. I asked her about her pain and she changed the subject. Some people "take advantage" of being "in and out." :)

It's good to still see her smirk when Kevin and I get going on something, and I really do like that smirk. I'm trying to memorize it and after 30 years I think I can.

Katie, I was really sorry to miss you all, and I DID take a couple healthy swigs of Bushmill's, and in fact shared some with Dennis. I took some time to take my kayak out on lake MacBride yesterday morning, and found some much needed excercise and solitary time. It was exceedinly beautiful and peaceful and got me centered for the day. Also got me good and tired. Wow. Did you all know that kayaking involves EXCERCISE?! Anyway, if I'd skipped that I'd have seen you, but there you go.

Kevin and I talked a little about how long this stage might last, and Diana sort of participated. Bottom line: it's hard to say, but it is safe to say that she's significantly weakened and that this IS that final stage. I'm so grateful for the many connections coming together to make this time peaceful and loving for Diana.

She was feeling tired and I threatened to bring back 19 people to sit around her bed and make small talk. She promised to demonstrate "how to sleep with 19 people sitting around my bed." God, how we love her!

Cranium Man said...

Oh. Radiation? Poo. Leave her alone.

Anonymous said...

Several years ago there was a poster about " Everything I needed to know I learned in kindergarten". In that same vein, I talked to my family about the life lessons we have picked up from dp:

Every female is a woman, regardless of age.

Tie your strings really tight if you want to do tie dye right. (Kathleen)

You're never too old to say your age with a half. (Eliz)

A good joke is not always rewarded with a belly laugh, sometimes "nice" is the ultimate compliment.

Bandanas make good head wraps, belts, and even halter tops.

There is no such thing as too many hats, or earrings. (Kathleen)

Sitting by a pond is a good way to pass the time. (Hannah)

Bird feeders are worth the effort.

Even a bad pun is a good thing.

Sharing tequila shots is a good way to make friends. (Mark)

Believing in dreams and making dream catchers is very important. (Elizabeth)

Setting the example as a great out law, and a great leader is a role worth accepting. (Mark)

Hope this brings a smile... or even " nice".

Love you,
Else

nancyturtle said...

Else, FWIW, it gets a smile from me.