Wednesday, April 2, 2008

dp, Kevin, and the Goblet of Fire

When I told Dr A about the three-to-six-month prediction, she said she thought that was awfully optimistic. "Days to weeks" is her analysis.

There are times when I think even that's optimistic. We're working on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, but I'm not stopping when she dozes now, cause it's a fitful in-and-out sort of dozing (and she says it's a nice way to wake up.) Her throat seems to have gotten worse -- even thickened liquids seem to start her coughing, so we've gone back to the little lollypop sponges. Her blood sat is low, even with an oxygen mask on, but when she does wake up, she's pretty coherent, and generally manages to crack a joke or two. And then there's that smile, which still lights up the room, to the comments of more than a few staff.

I think we can have our cake and eat it too, though -- we should be able to do most of the radiation treatments outpatient -- Dr A says that Hospice will pick up the cost of the ambulance to transport her daily from home to the hospital. Social Work was supposed to come visit us today for a referral to Hospice, but it was a pretty busy day, so it's quite possible they just missed us. Still, if I don't hear from them pretty early tomorrow, I'll just go call Hospice myself.

I'm getting pretty good at working this hospital. When it seemed to take a long time to get through official channels that we wanted to proceed with the radiotherapy, I just walked over their office, found Dr. B's nurse, and told her what was going on. Shortly after that, dp's nurse came in to say (somewhat incredulously) that radiotherapy was sending a person up to transport her there. We got the aiming CT done, and he'll compute the best paths to hit the tumors before we go back tomorrow. They like a week to do that, generally. Dr. A was also pretty pleased that he could even get it down to five treatments, saying that twenty or more had been the norm not too long ago.

Despite all the frustration that goes with any inpatient hospital stay, we're truely grateful to most of the staff here. Dr.s A, B and C have all been phenomenal, and the vast majority of nurses and NA's we've worked with have been fabulous. Still, we're both ready to go home. There's only so much sleep you can get on a reclining chair, and a view of da woods beats a view of the fieldhouse...

Me? I'm doing okay, so far. It took a bit to reframe from fighting cancer to accepting cancer, but I've still got my tasks. I'm dp's advocate (and a damned good one, too), and we've got Hospice to set up and stuff to get done. I'm planning on leaning on a lot of people when my tasks are completed, though...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, Would you please let her know how much we all love her? and you.... Katie

Cranium Man said...

About a decade ago now, another dear friend, Frank Karamagianis, battled cancer with crazy, determination and wonderful Greek cynicism. Frank was a wonderful host and loved to fill his house with characters and serve food and drink and watch what happened. His wife Mary was a good match and they were a wonderful couple.

Mary is the other person I think of when I think of what a good job you are doing as a husband, friend and advocate for Diana. She worked hard to remain present for Frank and to maintain whatever level of normalcy was possible for them.

You both have shown a great deal of class and determination and I love the minutes and hours we spend together. Though it breaks my heart to accept this, you have much from your life together to be proud of. I know I will treasure my portion.

nancyturtle said...

I don't have Sam's way with words, but Kevin, you are my hero.
Diana, I love you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kevin,

Hearts are very heavy here in Frankenmuth at this turn of events. You are in our thoughts and I'm praying to St. Jude, but he doesn't seem to be listening. I'll pass this latest report on to Uncle George and Aunt Dottie if they haven't already heard. You are also our hero. What a wonderful husband and friend you are! Tell Diana that her "cuz'", as she likes to say, loves her and is thinking about her and the wonderful memories we have of our carefree childhood surrounded by loving parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles cousins etc. We were very blessed as children. Not all kids were lucky enough to grow up the way we did. Tell Diana my favorite memories are family gatherings at the park on the end of Oak Street and picnics at Camp Dearborn with picatuta, stuffed cabbage, Uncle Jim's pepsi cooler, poker games with Uncle Shorty's leather, folding change purse and many, many children running in and out of Auntie Marie's and Uncle Shorty's house having a ball. Most of all I remember that we were always loved unconditionally by everyone. What a great family formed all of us and Diana in particular. I'm feeling very helpless and far away, but you are both in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for the detailed updates, they are greatly appreciated.
Love,
Carol and Fred Fox

Anonymous said...

I'm sending my love your way, always.

From da neice Lauren