Saturday, April 5, 2008

Dede


It occurred to me tonight that a way under-represented heroine in this blog is Dede, another woman who has been like a sister to Diana for longer than I've known her (Nancy being the other).

When dp was first diagnosed, Dede stepped up to oversee the care of Marie, a job she's continued ever since. She's been there for chemo sessions, Doctor's visits (until we realized she kinda freaked out Dr. C) and countless in-patient visits. She's brought comfort and pain relief with massage and her own special "Dede-ness" as she's been here week after week, day after day.

I've written about reading the fourth Harry Potter book, but I didn't mention that when the hospital library told me it was checked out, Dede jumped on her scooter and grabbed it from the public library, and threw in sub sandwiches to boot. That one's easy, because it only happened a couple days ago, but there have been a countless number of acts of assistance and kindness during the last year.

There are an incredible amount of people who have helped out over the last year, to whom I will always be grateful, and maybe someday I'll get around to showing them the recognition they deserve as well. Top of the list, though, has just got to go to Dede.

The photo is part of the virtual vacation stuff we did last summer.

7 comments:

Cranium Man said...

That same thought crossed my mind yesterday, as I read that Dede would be there before radiation for a massage. I don't know what more to say except to quote another friend of mine:

"God, do other people have friends like ours?"

Anonymous said...

Thanx Dede for being there for Diana, Kevin, Marie, everybody, ...!

-Best,
Rodney

Anonymous said...

Kevin and everyone- The Wisconsin caravan is back home...at least this part, Colleen, Ann, Sara and dad headed out from my house a few minutes ago, and I'm back to checking the blog for info. We're back here, but you know, our hearts are in Iowa with you and dp. I'm glad that mom and Dennis are there, keep them busy! We love you! Katie
ps Sam- We thought you were coming to visit while we were there and hit the liquor store with you in mind, so you'd better head to to dawoods.... :)

dd said...

Thanks Kevin *scuffing foot* (not feeling worthy of the praise), and thanks to clan Crawley for being here this weekend ...that was an enormous amount of work you accomplished in a very short period of time. What a load off all our bodies and minds.

And what a sweet gentle loving bunch you are.

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to be a pest, but if Kevin doesn't want to post how the rest of the day went, then have Dennis or mom do it, although I'm not sure if mom has much typing experience. I know Nancy is wondering as well. :)

nancyturtle said...

I think I have said this to Dede, but I'll say it here as well. Her presence there has allowed me to be here taking care of my responsibilities at The Ranch without feeling completely torn in half. I still hate not being able to be with dp and Kevin through all of this, but I can take comfort in knowing Dede is there. Thank you Dede. You are more than worthy.

Cranium Man said...

Yeah, and the "aw shucks shuffle" is cute, Dede.