Friday, April 4, 2008

Home again naturally

Kevin is taking a break, this is Katie, honored to be letting everyone know that all is well. DP is home and resting, we think comfortably. As you know, she got home last night and had a little bit to eat and drink. Marie came to visit last night and mother and daughter were able to spend about three hours together. Kevin's mom and dad arrived last night, Brother Dennis got here at 3 a.m. Katie, Sara, Colleen and Ann got here at about 11:30 and we all gathered this morning. dp is weak, but definately with us, as Kevin says and we all agree, her smile lights up a room. She chooses her words carefully, but I think we're used to that as well. Ellen and Mark arrived this morning as well.
It has been a beautiful day, Kevin and dp are progressing through Harry Potter and she has been seeing people who love her, mainly Kevin's family but also Seth and Ron. Other out-laws, including Steve Poser, Jeff Gerner, Tim Dybevik and Mark Thorn are also here to lend support and rake and help. Wonderful, loyal and loving Dee Dee came to give her a message before she went for another radiation treatment, always working to make her feel loved and comfortable. I guess the news of the days is that with brother-in-law's and Ron's help, while dp was getting her radiation treatment, we were able to move her bed downstairs, and as Kevin puts in, she is home for the first time in about five months. Her bed is right down at the bottom of the stairs, so she can look out of the window onto the deck and out to the woods. We were a little dubious that the ambulance dudes could get her down there but they took the outside route, and she is safe and sound. Bree and Aerial (sorry for spelling) came for a visit this evening.
We, feel very honored to be here and to be able to help. We know everyone feels very helpless and to be able to rake and take down lights and put up lights and to pull creeping charlie and fill bird feeders and wash windows, makes us very happy. We don't know what tomorrow brings, but we know dp knows that so so many people love her, and she has the best life partner she could ever have.

4 comments:

nancyturtle said...

I can see that Kevin comes by his hero qualities quite naturally. What a great family you all are! And that includes those who dp calls the Iowa City family. I am there with you in spirit. And I am thrilled to know she is home in daWoods that she so loves. Welcome Home Diana Paulina.
As I look around my home I see signs of Diana everywhere and I feel so honored to have been able to call her my friend and sister for so many years. As I said the other day, I know we will meet again in what Kevin so aptly called dp's Next Great Adventure.
I love you all!

Cranium Man said...

What you said, Nancy.

Anonymous said...

I know Diana Banana from what seems like another life time ago and just recently reconnected with her and Kevin. As some of you have said I'm at a loss for words but, I think my mom said it best in the last letter she had me email to Diana...."Diana, our experiences with you-Sally, Lisa and Erin, was like honey on ripe red and blue berries on cream cheese on crepes: sweet, sticky and golder bright colored with tart flavorings, with an underlying smoothness and richness, all wrapped in a lacey delicacy. And still, words fail me when I try to say how much the "Diana Chapter" has meant to me and for my girls." I think my mom pretty much said it all right there. Diana you are one of our "Sheroes."
Diana and Kevin just know that you are both in our thoughts and prayers.
Lisa (Arney) Ludgood

Anonymous said...

Thinking of Diana in her own home amongst friend and family at this time, (a home opened to so many of us so many times) brings so many lyrics, pieces of poetry, proverbs, sayings, great literature, philosophy, etc., all come to mind. But I'm left with just a little humble feeling/thought of, "damn, I'm lucky to have known you all."
Peace!
Rod