Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Palliative Treatment

Another day at the U. Our task today is to determine if we want to do palliative treatment first, or just proceed directly to Hospice (do not pass Go, do not collect $200).

We turned down a bone scan this morning, because dp doesn't want to do anything she doesn't have to, and the bone scan was actually scheduled last week, before the MRI.

It's 8:30 now -- soon, they are supposed to load her onto a cart so that we can go have a 'consult' with nuclear medicine. We need someone to tell us a timeframe today -- I'm thinking they are not going to want to do that, but we'll see...

Our radiotherapy doc is Dr B, who sat down with us and showed us the MRI scans. There are at least seven different tumors running down the length of her spine, starting at her shoulders and going to the small of her back. Radiotherapy should help relieve the pain in her legs, and maybe give her back bladder control, but they don't hold a lot of hope that they can give her the use of her legs back. I pressed Dr. B to see just how few treatments we could get away with. He was already recommending five treatments instead of ten, but he'll see if we can get away with as few as three. That would get us home Friday or Saturday.

I expect we'll start talking to the Hospice folks today. We're both committed to Hospice at home -- I'll see how much time they can give me to go to work each day, and we're hoping we can get some blog-reading volunteers to pitch in.

Nobody, of course, wants to answer the really hard question -- how long do we have? Dr. Y (who in charge of our just-arrived wet-behind-the-ears resident) went statistical -- three to six months, although I'm getting the feeling that it's closer to three than to six. Sometime today, we'll talk to Dr B. (who was here yesterday during the only hour I wasn't here) - if she can't pin it down, probably nobody can.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok- the creeping charlie pullers are arriving on Saturday. We will bring rakes and gloves and pull away and also gently rake off the tulips so they can come up. We can fill bird feeders, we can pick up more stuff in the basement, clean the refrigerator, do some laundry...whatever. Kevin you mentioned a tree leaning on the red house....do you need a man with a chain saw as well? We may sleep in the basement, or we may head across the street...would you like us to bring some scotch or tequilla?

Cranium Man said...

I'm here for whatever. As Bunky or whichever persona you prefer. How's DP with company. Part of me wants to celebrate her some while she can still enjoy it. So, then it's a matter of what she will enjoy. As you're sorting . . . something to think about.

Forward, into the unimaginable.

nancyturtle said...

I'll be there on the 16th to the 23rd.

Unknown said...

K and D and all - As you know, I have been a consistent lurker on the blog. Sorry to hear about the latest transition - my thoughts and love are definitely flowing your way. As you may or may not know, I work with Dr. B alot and with Hospice and you will be in good hands to help you achieve your goals during this precious time - they are good midwives (and midhusbands?). My sense is that at the point you are at, it is never too early to sign up for Hospice - it brings with it much support and benefit and an ability to be where you want to be - home in this case. I would be pleased to be part of the crew that covers things if you have to work as it fits with my schedule. I also live at UIHC so let me know if there is anything I can help with while y'all are still there. Much mucho love friends, Marcy

jonathan said...

I am available for whatever, pretty much whenever.

Cranium Man said...

We had a good experience with Hospice in Wichita as well.

Anonymous said...

As you are working out volunteers, I wanted to let you know, that mom will come with on Saturday, prepared to stay the week. She's been on vacation for a month, so put her to work.:) She plans to call you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

We have two rooms for guests at our house (family guests, not like B&B guests). They are available for you and crew, Katie, if you want 'em. One has a queen bed, and the other a double futon on the floor. My mom is in Florida this week, so we are just a big dog, a little dog, a fat cat, Robin and me.

I am available all morning tomorrow, Kevin, if you want Ron and me to do something to get the house ready we could probably do at least some of that then.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! I would sooo be there to help if I could. What can I say about my debt to Diana ? She is shaman whose power has helped guide me in life. The heck with "what would Jesus do," I have often asked myself in different sutiations, "what would Diana do?" And I often came up with innivative & creative answers. Thank you Diana!
Also, I've done some research work with hospice in Denton, TX and I spent a good deal of time in a hospice in Cincinnati when my sister was walking on. I found it to be way better than anything i saw in any hospital I have ever been involved with.

My sincerest wishes and hopes for all of my Iowa City friends in these times of uncertainty!

-Best,
Rodney

Unknown said...

I love you both. I'm available to help if you need me (338-3290). You both have been so good, for so long, to so many people that you've built a whole community whose support you can draw on during the hardest times.

Jason