Monday, March 31, 2008

Back in the UIHC Again

We're back at the U again, this time on the fourth floor, in Dr. C's service.

dp's legs have been getting more painful, to the point where she couldn't sit up without hurting a lot. She's okay if she just lays in bed, but that leads to a host of other problems, so we decided that we should do something. We left home on an ambulance about 3, and they are still getting her settled in here.

She's got a morphine PCA, which allows her to give herself a dose by pushing a button, and a foley catheter.

We're in the palliative care wing of the oncology ward. I think all the rooms on this end are singles, and they try to keep this area much quieter -- there are reminders to close the door, to try to be quiet, and to feel free to complain if you think other people are being too loud.

Dr. C thought he might be able to move the bone scan up from Wed to tomorrow, but we'll see what happens. In the meantime, dp is comfortable enough, but we're still waiting for the Thicken powder so she can drink some real water.

We spent most of the weekend reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. We're almost done with that, so now I just have to remember where we stashed the rest of them. I do think the weekend at home was good for her -- she sleeps a lot better in her own bed than she does in any hospital room, so while she is pained, she also well-rested.

Marie seems quite chipper -- she's worried about dp, of course, but looking happy and healthy when I check in on her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am keeping Diana Banana in my thoughts. I hope everything turns out well. Will keep checking back for more updates.
Lisa (Arney) Ludgood

Cranium Man said...

Diana Banana. I like that. It's appealing. Back to the job site for me today. Drat. I hope dp is more comfortable.

Anonymous said...

Kevin and dp,
I am so sorry about these set-backs and Diana's pain. We were in NYC last week...Lauren's h.s. choir sang at Carnegie and we made a good vacation out of it. I thought about you often, particuarly at John Lennon's Memorial in Cental Park. There is a guy who sits there every day playing guitar. He has been decorating the monument daily for 5years, with flowers, fruit, even weed, we were told.
I'd attach pictures, but I don't know how. Maybe Lauren can help me.
Welove you, continue to pray, and are waiting to read your next entry. I am attaching hugs for both of you. XXXX
Love, Colleen

jonathan said...

I'm still following the blog and thinking of you two every day.

Howdy-do to cranium man and sir rodney too!