Saturday, April 14, 2007

Two More Days


We decided that Kevin didn't need to be at the hospital for this scan since: there was little statistical risk that the stress test would do me in, and we expected to get no new information during or following this round of tests.

As a matter of fact, everyone involved with my recent stress tests has been astounded that: I've completed it, I didn't need to collapse after it, I stopped because my legs hurt, and not my heart (I'm carrying that 25 extra pounds again *sighs*), and I didn't need assistance in walking immediately following it... *shrugs*

The myocardial perfusion scan began at 8 a.m. with an injection of a radioactive tracer dye (half life of which is 6 hours). During that time, I overheard that they think I'm taking green tea extract -- which I am not -- so now we're trying to learn how we can best access my new medical record to correct that and any other errors that might already be traveling with me...

The first set of 'at rest' images of the heart were complicated by the tracer dye also illuminating the bowel -- an anomaly of my anatomy -- which made differentiating the heart muscle more difficult (providing a crappy picture *heh*) and resulted in a second set of images being taken. Each set lasted about 15 minutes.

The third set of images which followed the treadmill stress test didn't require a follow-up set of images. But, we were provided no information regarding the tests and don't expect to until the beginning of next week, as the prep sheet said it would take 48 hours to get the results.

This test will help the pulmonologist prescribe the level of rehab I can handle for the next three weeks. No one has indicated how much gain is expected by this rehab period, nor if it might be extended to the normal eight week course of the rehab. We're guessing that regardless of the lung improvement, the length of time would be compromised by the growth rate of the tumor, which no one seems able...or willing...to address.

In the meantime, we're now able to take walks again and will monitor my/our blood pressure both before and after since we're now both dealing with an elevated blood pressure issue. Now that Mother Nature has settled down a bit, our walks have been most enjoyable.

We're now two weeks into our new care plan for Mom, and things are working pretty smoothly. *knocks on wood* It's allowed me time to get the lawns cleared and to get out into the gardens to do some clean-up work. We're feeling more rested in the mornings since we don't have to listen to the next-door monitor all night, and it's nice to be able to plan things that might take longer than forty-five minutes to an hour, or, to do things spontaneously! *grins* Mostly it's given us some very welcomed Alone Time!

We lost many daffodils to the recent cold snap, but some survived, as did most of our tulips -- which should be up next week. *cheers* Around town, early hostas got frosted, as did Magnolias, but our leaf mulch and woodland canopy protected all of ours.

A very difficult part of our new medical adventure is learning what questions to ask of whom, and how to be savvy consumers of medical personnel, procedures, products, prices (and costs), and politics. We sure appreciate all of the input in addition to the support from our family and friends.

And to everyone who so kindly asks what you can do, or how you can help: the best thing you can do for us right now is to appreciate your friends and extended families. *hugs*

3 comments:

nancyturtle said...

You just have to ask to review your records. They'll probably want to have a staff person there with you to answer questions and you can then correct any misinformation. It's amazing to me, even after 25+ years "in the business", how many "rumors" get passed along as facts in a patient's medical history.
It's sounds like the walking you were doing last fall has paid off, at least for getting through a cardiac stress test....

Anonymous said...

I told Kevin and dp this on the phone and will also say it here, I truly appreciate the blog and also really look forward to Nancy's comments as she helps make medical info a little more understandable. :) Katie

nancyturtle said...

Thanks Katie. That's what I'm hoping to do, but I'm so specialized to babies I'm never sure my adult info is accurate or current.